Historical Timeline | Newspaper Articles | Photos | Documents | Submit A Story
 
Historical Timeline

Late 1920's
Manufactured by Jerry O'Mahony, Inc. of Elizabeth, NJ,
the diner was #562 off the assembly line and shipped to somewhere in the Saybrook CT area. (View Photo)

1945
August 31
Local restaurateur Rudy Cielke signs a 10 Year land lease deal for $90/month, getting permission to dig a foundation
and place a diner at the northwest corner of North Elm & Main Street (Lawrence Square) in Torrington, CT (View Lease)

Winter
The diner is brought into Torrington from somewhere in the Saybrook CT area and placed into position. Ceilke, along with
Tom Ryan and John Miran prepare to open "Rudy's" Diner.

1946
Winter
After hearing about a new diner coming to town from a local tavern owner, local cook and WWII veteran Anthony Cisowski investigates this and strikes a deal with Ceilke to purchase the diner.

Februry 11
The original Land Lease is transfered over to Cisowski who partners with his brother Edmund and together open up
Skee's Diner for business. They hire Stanley "Stash" Smigel as cook. (View Lease) (View Photo) (View Video)

October
The name Skee's Diner becomes official with the filing of a Trade Name Certificate.(View Certificate) (View Photo)

1955
August
Although the basement became flooded during the great flood of 1955, Skee's Diner manages to survive. (View Photo)

1974
December
Diner sold to Charles & Judith Jacquemin (Belmonte) (Read Register Citizen Article)

1981
December
Story in Hartford Courant (Read Article)

1984
June
Diner sold to Carol & Greg Yarrison

August
Plans in motion to place Skee's Diner on the National Register of Historic Places (Read Register Citizen Article)

1986
May
Diner to be sold to Sam Cardonski who plans to move it to New Milford and rename it "Lulu's Nightowl Café" (Read Register Citizen Article)

October
Diner sale falls through during the closing

1987
July
Diner immortalized on greeting card by photographer Jeffery Milstein of Paper House Productions, Woodstock NY. (Read Register Citizen Article)

Summer
Diner subject of painting by famed painter John Baeder (View Painting)

August
Diner sold to Eric Outwater (Read Register Citizen Article)

1988
July
Diner sold to Robert & Maria Levesque (Read Register Citizen Article)

1992
February
Diner put up for sale

1994
December
Diner closes, remains for sale

1995
June
Diner leased to Amal Boughanem & Douglas Londen (Read Register Citizen Article)

Summer
Diner subject of painting for second time by John Baeder (View Painting)

December
Amal & Douglas reopen Diner (Read Register Citizen Article)

2001
Diner Closes for the final time

2002
September 6
Diner placed on the National Register of Historic Places (View Application)

2009
Northwest Connecticut Chamber Education Foundation purchases Skee's Diner.

2013
Torrington Historical Preservation Trust receives diner from Chamber.




 
© Copyright 2013 Torrington Historic Preservation Trust - Website Designed & Developed by Edward Cannata